As part of a major transformation program, this Australian rail freight operator was focused on developing a diverse workforce to ensure it remained dynamic in an ever-changing commercial environment.
To achieve its long term business objectives, a number of its employees were classified as being ‘in transition’. Their positions had become redundant, but no redeployment opportunities existed. This was as a result of a ‘no forced redundancy’ provision in enterprise agreements for a significant portion of the workforce.
We provided career transition services support and managed impacted employees to successfully transition into alternative employment. Employees in transition attended a career transition unit location each day to undertake job search activities.
We worked individually with affected employees, offering a range of re-skilling and employee transition services to improve their opportunities for employment when they left the company. This direct support ensured consistent and professional management of individuals until their departure.
Outplacement support included:
- Coaching employees on job seeking activities such as resume preparation, interview skills and networking strategies.
- Facilitating career transition group workshops.
- Building supportive relationships with participants to help them explore options, identify and overcome barriers and empower them to realise their next career goal.
- Leveraging existing networks to capture and organise work placements and employment opportunities.
- Engaging with client to provide ideas, support and additional assistance where required.
We delivered best practice, successful career transition coaching for employees during sensitive transition periods. Our services aligned both with the organisation’s business goals and the changing profile of program participants. They also remained focused on commercial necessities and cost reductions.
A high level of participation not only provided important outplacement services for the employees but also enabled staff members to leave the organisation with a more positive outlook than they otherwise would have. They could see and value the time, effort and money the organisation had put into the support provided. This was evidenced through feedback sheets and unsolicited comments.
Contact Glide Outplacement for more information about this case study or to find out more about our tailored outplacement services for employees.