Networking is an essential career tool that can add significant value to your job search and professional life. The following are some questions you may wish to consider asking when networking with individuals or potential employers. Ask those that are most relevant to you, always keeping an eye on the contact’s body language and making sure they’re not looking uncomfortable.
- What’s changed in your industry over the last few years?
- What general trends do you see in the [XX] industry?
- How can I find more information about [XX industry] issues?
- Are there any particular companies that are leaders in this field?
- Who are the most important people in the industry today?
- What type of professional and personal skills does it take to succeed at this type of work?
- What opportunities for advancement are there in this organisation or in the field?
- How did you get into this industry?
- What advice would you give someone just starting out in this business?
- What do you like most about this industry?
- What type of projects are you working on?
- What do you want to achieve next?
- What separates your business from the competition?
- Who else can you recommend I talk to about [XX]? When I call, may I use your name?